Sunday, November 1, 2009

2 1/2 hrs

4 days a week I spend a total of 2 1/2 hours a day riding on the bus. The 780 Metro Rapid is the exact one, Hollywood and Vine to Colorado and Los Robles. You would think that riding on the bus that long would get really old and boring, but it has been a time that I almost catch myself looking forward to. I ride my bike up the street a little over a mile and begin to wait for the bus. I have waited on buses anywhere from 2 seconds to an hour, but usually around 10 minutes. I put my bike on the front of the bus, tap my TAP card (prepaid card each month) on the machine, and head to find a seat. I usually head to the back and hope for a corner seat in the back row because that gives me a little more leg room and a window to lean on, but sometimes I just have to sit where I can find a spot. Friday afternoons are the most crowded on my way home from work for whatever reason, it's usually standing room only, but most of the time there are several seats available at my stop. Most days I have my headphones in listening to either some soft Christian music or some country songs to make me feel at home. I choose that music because I try to read and listen at the same time. I typically read a chapter or so and then try to spend some time in prayer and just being silent in the midst of the busy traffic. I have found this time to be exactly what I was missing in my relationship with God over the last four years. I didn't take very much time in college to really just be still and quiet with God. Sometimes though the bus can be far from quiet and peaceful, which can be very entertaining. I have spoken to the broken about Christ, answered difficult questions about my faith, seen some of the craziest looking folks in the world, listen to others share their faith with me, seen a gun readjusted in a boys pants, listened to people talking to themselves out loud using some less than appropriate vocabulary, seen people want to fight the driver, fight each other, and just about anything you can imagine. Through all of this I have seen God more in those 2 1/2 hours than I could have ever thought possible. My time of prayer and reading has been refreshing and even my conversations with a few complete strangers.

Everything is going great and I am enjoying the beautiful fall weather here in L.A. I have now seen a few celebrities, started to exercise, seen some live music, and enjoyed the biggest Halloween parade/gathering you could imagine with my roommates in West Hollywood. Close to a million people walk the streets in some pretty amazing costumes. I miss my family and friends but I know God is at work, in this house, at Door of Hope, and in our neighborhood and am excited that He is letting me be a part of it.

Prayer request - Papa my grandfather who has cancer for comfort and healing, Ben my best friend in Uganda who is getting over Malaria, and just strenght and energy each day. Thanks for all the prayers already and support, it means a lot to have people praying and thinking about me.



2 comments:

  1. Well, you've confirmed that God answers prayers, Curtis. I was praying for your commute to actually have relevance and meaning, and I'm so thankful it does. Praying for Ben and your grandfather. -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I don't know you, but I've been looking in to doing YAV for several years and was reading YAV blogs. I love this one. I ride the bus, too and love my commute. I live in Jacksonville and have had wonderful experiences with people and having quiet, alone time to myself. I'm with you on that!

    ReplyDelete